Curriculum Goals and Skills
Goal of Knowledge and Cultural Understanding
The goal of knowledge and cultural understanding is pursued by developing students’ literacy in history and the other humanities (including ethics), geog ...more
Goal of Democratic Understanding and Civic Values
The curricular goal of democratic understanding and civic values is centered on an essential understanding of the nation’s identity and ...more
Goal of Skills Attainment and Social Participation
The curricular goal of skills attainment and social participation is pursued by developing students’ participation skills, critical thinking skills, ...more
Historical and SS Analysis Skills
The intellectual skills noted below are to be learned through, and applied to, the content standards for grades six through eight. They are to be assessed only in conjunction with the content standards in grades six through eight. In addition to the standards for grades six through eight, students demonstrate the following intellectual reasoning, reflection, and research skills:
Chronological and Spatial Thinking
1. Students explain how major events are related to one another in time.
2. Students construct various time lines of key events, people, and periods of the ...more
Research, Evidence, and Point of View
1. Students frame questions that can be answered by historical study and research.
2. Students distinguish fact from opinion in historical narratives and stories.
1. Students explain the central issues and problems from the past, placing people and events in a matrix of time and place.
2. Students understand and distinguish cause, ...more